October 24, 2008
It will surprise nobody this November when the election outcome is a spoiled mess, riddled with controversy. We can already say the results-–based on the conditions–-are guaranteed to be inconclusive, unknowable and unprovable. We must challenge our industry to refuse to report as fact what cannot be proven and has not been independently verified, particularly when the only source of the information is the government itself.
A Public Media Campaign Launched by Dave Berman of We Do Not Consent
A current list of this letter’s signers can be found at http://usacoup.scoop.co.nz/?p=835. If you would like to add your name, please use the form on that page or submit your name and affiliation via e-mail to: email@example.com.
Dear Media Colleagues:
You are receiving this message because you are known to American progressives as a truth-teller. In this presidential campaign, despite the typical horse-race coverage, we also see the overall corporate media narrative influenced by daily debunking efforts from candidates’ rapid response teams, the blogosphere, and the reality-based coverage and reporting that you provide. We need to take this to the next level.
There are three very simple basic facts about the way US federal elections are conducted now, and we think they lead to an inescapable conclusion that must be addressed. See if you agree:
1. We have secret corporate vote counting computers counting more than 95% of the votes cast in the United States;
2. The absence of paper ballots, and in some cases state’s law, prevents meaningful re-counts throughout much of the country;
3. These electronic voting machines frequently produce results impossible in a legitimate election, such as John Kerry’s negative 25 million votes in Youngstown, OH (Nov. 2004), or Palm Beach County’s 12,000 votes in excess of the number of voters (Aug. 2008).
To us, this suggests the conclusion that federal election results are unprovable, even though the media reports them as fact.
Can you draw any other conclusion?
It will surprise no one this November when the outcome is a spoiled mess, riddled with controversy. In fact, we can already say the results–-based on the conditions-–are guaranteed to be inconclusive, unknowable and unprovable.
We must challenge our industry to refuse to report as fact what cannot be proven and has not been independently verified, particularly when the only source of the information is the government itself.
The reality is that the media should be the greatest advocates of hand counting paper ballots because this method of counting allows media greatest access to observing and documenting the process, affording the reported results the greatest credibility.
Transparent coverage of a transparent counting process would create a basis for confidence in the reported results where none currently exists.
As we all know, there is a vibrant community of engaged citizens across the US who collectively self-identify as the “election integrity community.” They are asking us truth-tellers to challenge our industry, essentially reframing the debate.
Many of them have appeared on our shows and in our columns over the past few years, and they are eager to be sources for us now. But they are also counting on us to take this message forward and we don’t see how we can be truth-tellers without doing that.
Please join us in this concerted effort to use truth-telling yet again to change the corporate media narrative of this presidential campaign.
Dave Berman, http://WeDoNotConsent.blogspot.com
Voter Confidence Committee of Humboldt, CA
- Mark A. Adams JD/MBA founder of www.ProjectVoteCount.com and attorney for Clint Curtis
- Rady Ananda, Senior Editor www.OpEdNews.com
- Dan Ashby, Co-Founder and Director, www.ElectionDefenseAlliance.org
- Ron Baiman, PhD, Economist/Statistician, Vice President National Election Data Archive/U.S. Count Votes
- Jan Baumgartner, Managing Editor, www.OpEdNews.com
- Cheryl Biren-Wright, Managing Editor, www.OpEdNews.com
- Joan Brunwasser, Election Integrity Editor www.OpEdNews.com
- Michael Cavlan, Ohio 2004 Recount Official Observer
- John Chuckman, Columnist & Cartoonist More Websites: Postcards, Trading Cards, Places
- Michael Collins, “The Money Party,” http://usacoup.scoop.co.nz/?tag=michael-collins; http://electionfraudnews.com/MichaelCollins.htm
- Peter B. Collins, syndicated talk show host, www.peterbcollins.com
- Tom Courbat, Founder, SAVE R VOTE, www.savervote.com
- Kathy Dopp, MS Mathematics, Executive Director, US Count Votes
- David Earnhardt, filmmaker, “UNCOUNTED: The New Math of American Elections”
- Bernie Ellis Organizer, Gathering To Save Our Democracy (Tennessee) and Convener, National Election Reform Conference Nashville, TN April, 2005 –http://www.votesafetn.org
- Lisa Finerty, Chair, Democrats Abroad – Rome Chapter
- Catherine Austin Fitts, Scoop “Mapping The Real Deal” Columnist, solari.com
- Steve Freeman, author, academic and founder of ElectionIntegrity
- John Gideon, Co-Executive Director, VotersUnite.Org
- David L. Griscom, Ph.D., impactglassman.blogspot.com; Co-Founder, AUDITAZ, auditaz.blogspot.com; Member Coordinating Committee, Election Defense Alliance, www.electiondefensealliance.org/
- Bev Harris, founder and director,Black Box Voting, http://www.blackboxvoting.org
- Rob Kall, Executive Editor & Publisher www.OpEdNews.com
- Lynn Landes, freelance journalist, www.thelandesreport.com
- Valerie Lane, Chair, SAVElections Monterey County, California
- Amanda Lang, OEN Managing Editor, www.opednews.com
- Paul R Lehto, Juris Doctor, Author of Election Law Encyclopedia articles firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jason Leopold, investigative journalist, author – TPR: The Public Record
- Joanne Lukacher, Communications Director, Re-Media Election Transparency Coalition, www.re-mediaetc.org
- Linda Milazzo, Senior Editor www.OpEdNews.com; HuffingtonPost blogger
- Mark Crispin Miller, Author, www.markcrispinmiller.blogspot.com
- Josh Mitteldorf, PhD, statistician for Election Integrity and Election Defense Alliance
- Donna Norton, Member Elect, Sonoma County Democratic Central Committee; Member, Progressive Democrats of America, Sonoma County
- Andi Novick, Legal Counsel, Re-media Election Transparency Coalition, www.re-mediaetc.org
- Ernest Partridge, Co-Editor, The Crisis Papers www.crisispapers.org
- John Russell (FL-5) D – www.johnrussellforcongress.com
- Allene E. Swienckowski, author http://www.whenmeangirlsgrowup.com
- Danny Schechter, http://www.mediachannel.org
- Sam Smith, The Progressive Review
- Dave Stancliff, freelance journalist
- David Swanson, Co-Founder, www.AfterDowningStreet.org
- Allene E. Swienckowski, author http://www.whenmeangirlsgrowup.com
- Ellen Theisen, Co-Executive Director, VotersUnite.Org
- Alastair Thompson, Co-Editor/General Manager, www.Scoop.co.nz
- Bernard Weiner, Co-Editor, The Crisis Papers www.crisispapers.org
- Carolyn Zaremba, Socialist Equality Party
A current list of this letter’s signers can be found http://usacoup.scoop.co.nz/?p=835. If you would like to add your name, please use the form on that page or submit your name and affiliation via e-mail to: email@example.com